Berkeley in the News Archive

The links to the stories summarized on this page are time sensitive, so stories might no longer be online at that URL. We also include links to the original source publication itself.

Thursday, 13 February 2014

1. Cal remembers late football player Agu for his spirit
San Francisco Chronicle

More than 1,000 people gathered Wednesday night outside Memorial Stadium for an emotional candlelight service for Cal football player Ted Agu, who died unexpectedly last Friday following a routine training run. "We lost one of our brothers," safety Stefan McClure said. "The last five days have been rough. Everyone grieves in separate ways. Guys are being strong for each other." Coach Sonny Dykes said: "I'm very humbled to be here on behalf of Ted Agu and his family. When you lead a life as big as Ted did, you leave a legacy that is even bigger. Today is a celebration of his life." Other stories on this topic appeared on KGO TV (link to video), KNTV (link to video), and KTVU Online. Full Story

2. Scientists find definitive evidence that Native Americans were first to occupy North America
Science Recorder

An international team of scientists, including Rasmus Nielsen of Berkeley's Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics, has mapped the genome of a small boy between 1 and 1.5 years of age in a 12,600 year-old burial site in what is now Wilsall, Montana. The skeleton is the oldest known skeleton associated with the Clovis people, and the scientists estimate that approximately 80 percent of living Native American populations in North and South America are direct descendants of the Clovis boy's family. The remaining 20 percent share a closer genetic link to the Clovis family than with any other people on Earth. The finding is evidence that the Clovis people did not descend from Europeans, Asians or Melanesians, as many believed. Full Story

3. Cal psychologist studies keys to successful relationships
KGO TV

In a 25-year study of marital longevity, psychology professor Robert Levenson has found that if a couple can make it 15 years, they have a good chance of making it long-term, provided they communicate respectfully. "It's probably a third in who you pick, a third in the hand you're dealt, and a third in the set of skills you develop as a couple," he says. "It's a hard road. And we make it harder, I think, by piling so many expectations on it." Full Story

4. Facebook Deal on Privacy Is Under Attack
International New York Times (*requires registration)

This article discusses a $20 million Facebook settlement that intended to ensure that Facebook users clearly consent to their comments, images and "likes" being used in ads. The settlement had included a $4.8 million distribution to nonprofit groups and certain law schools, including Berkeley's, but one organization -- Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood -- has decided to return the money and ask the appeals court to reject the settlement on the grounds that it offers little protection to children. Full Story

5. Maddow Blog: Tenn. GOP pulls out the stops to fight unionization
MSNBC

Professor Harley Shaiken, a labor expert, has suggested that a claim made by Senator Bob Corker of Tennesssee may be illegal. The Republican senator reportedly said he knew of a secret plan to reward the Chatanooga VW plant with a new product line on condition that its workers reject a plan to join the UAW union. Another story quoting Professor Shaiken on this topic was issued by Reuters. Full Story

6. UC Berkeley police arrest suspect in sexual assault of student
KGO Online

Timothy Rodriguez, a former graduate student instructor, has been arrested in Albany on suspicion of sexual assault and possession of controlled substances. The incident occurred on Jan. 25 when a female student met him for drinks at a bar near campus. The two drank alcoholic beverages and the student became intoxicated and ill. Rodriguez allegedly took her back to his apartment at University Village, where the assault took place. She told police she had briefly left her drink unattended. Campus police are asking anyone who may have been the victim of a similar crime to call police at (510) 664-9667. Other stories on this topic appeared on NBC Bay Area Online, CBS Online, and the Berkeley Patch. Full Story

Today's Edition of UC Berkeley in the News