Energy Biosciences Institute timeline
| 12 April 2007
- June 14, 2006
- BP announces intent to invest $500 million in biofuels research.
- Sept. 7
- Vice Chancellor Beth Burnside sends deans and chairs CalMail message saying that Berkeley, with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, has been invited to compete for the BP research funding. To assess faculty interest, Berkeley researchers are asked to submit information on current research projects that could be relevant to a Berkeley EBI.
- Burnside informs Academic Senate leadership of the possible submission of a proposal. The proposal is discussed in biweekly meetings with the Committee on Academic Planning and Resources Allocation (CAPRA), and in meetings with the Committee on Research.
- Oct. 16
- BP issues Request for Proposals. Berkeley, UC San Diego, Cambridge, MIT, and Imperial College London are invited to submit proposals.
- Nov. 24
- Proposal sent by team comprised of Berkeley, LBNL, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Feb. 1, 2007
- California Gov. Schwarzenegger and Illinois Gov. Blagojevich join BP executives in announcing selection of Berkeley team to create Energy Biosciences Institute.
- March 8
- Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate holds open forum on EBI.
- March 19
- LBNL Director Steve Chu and others lead EBI teach-in at Dwinelle Hall.
- April 19
- Scheduled special meeting of Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate on EBI contract.
- Final contract with BP expected to be completed; EBI launched in temporary space in Calvin Lab and Hildebrand Hall.